Groups in the Dashboards
You can go to the Manage Groups page from many dashboard views, including Monitor Student Mastery, Review Student Results, Track Student Work, View Assessment Data, Item Responses, and Subdomain Scores. Simply select Manage Groups in the top right corner of the page.
On the Manage Groups page, you can create group sets, edit the groups in a set, or delete group sets. Any groups that you create will be visible for the selected subject in the Dashboards, Planner, Accelerated Math Instructional Practice, and Accelerated Reader 360 Instructional Reading (depending on the subject).
Selecting a Class to Manage Groups for
When you go to the Manage Groups page, the class that you had selected on the previous page is automatically selected on this page. If you want to select a different class, follow these steps:
- Select the link after "I am managing groups for." (When you move the mouse over the link, it will change to Edit Selection.)
- In the window that opens, choose the school (if shown), the teacher, and the class. The selections that you need to make depend on your position; teachers typically only need to choose the class to work with.
If you have access to more than one school or teacher, choose one of the options at the top of each column first (All Schools/All Teachers or Select Schools/Select Teachers). If you choose to select schools or teachers, check the ones whose classes you want to see. Then, select the class in the last column.
- Select Apply.
The class that you selected will be shown on the page, and the students' Star data (Math or Reading, depending on what you are working with) will be shown in the graph if any is available.
Graph of Student Star Data
The graph shows Star data based on Scaled Score and Student Growth Percentile (SGP). Students who do not have both a Scaled Score and a Student Growth Percentile will not be on the graph; instead, they will be listed under "Insufficient data to place on graph" below the graph. Note: You will not see anything on the graph until you have created groups.
If you want to see just the group names on the graph, not the individual students, on the left side of the page, select the arrow to the right of each group name.
Selecting Existing Groups to View or Edit
If there are already editable groups for the class, use the Group based on drop-down list to choose which groups to view or edit. Only groups that can be edited are shown (so Benchmark groups, for example, would not be available to select since you cannot change them).
Creating a New Set of Custom Groups
To add a new set of groups to the class, follow the steps below. The groups that you create are for products that use the Manage Groups page for reading or math (depending on the products and subjects you are working with).
- If groups have already been created for the class, select the Group based on drop-down list and select Add/Remove Group Sets.
If no groups have been created yet, select Create a Group Set and skip step 2.
- Select Create a Group Set. (Notice that the group sets you've already created are listed below the button.)
If you want your new group set to be based on one that already exists, select the copy icon next to that group set instead of choosing Create a Group Set. Then, continue with the steps below.
- Enter a name for your new group set; then, select Save.
- Next you'll see the students in your new group set. All students will be in the same group. To create additional groups and move students into them, see the instructions under "Arranging Students in Groups" below. When you're done, select Save.
Editing an Existing Set of Groups
If you want to make changes to an existing set of groups, follow these steps:
- Select the group set from the Group based on drop-down list to view the groups.
Only groups that you can change are listed in the drop-down list. The Benchmark groups are not listed because they cannot be changed.
- Select Edit to the right of the drop-down list.
- See the instructions under "Arranging Students in Groups" below. When you've finished changing the groups, select Save.
Arranging Students in Groups
Once you have created new groups or selected the groups that you want to work with, you can move students between groups within the set. You can also add, rename, or delete groups.
After you make changes of any kind, be sure to select Save before you leave the page if you want to save the changes. If you've made changes and you don't want to save them, select Cancel.
Moving Students Between Groups
To move a student from one group to another, select the student's name and drag the student to the new group. You can then choose whether to move the student to the new group, or to copy the student into the new group while leaving the student in the original group as well; simply drag the student's name to the option that you prefer. Be sure to select Save above the groups after you make changes (or Cancel if you decide not to save your changes).
Automatically Sorting Students into Groups Based on Star Data
You can also automatically sort students into groups based on their Star test results. When you do this, your changes are automatically saved when the sorting is complete. Follow these steps:
- First, choose to create or edit a group set as described above.
- Select auto-sort students above the Save and Cancel buttons.
- You can choose to sort students by benchmarks or by their Scaled Scores and Student Growth Percentiles (SGPs). Select the criteria that you want to use.
- Use the drop-down list next to the options to choose more criteria:
Select Go below the options.
A message will remind you that the changes will be saved and that there is not a way to go back to your previous groups. If you want to continue, select Yes; if not, select No.
- If you chose Benchmarks, you can choose which benchmarks to use to sort the students:
- If you chose Scaled Score and SGP, you can choose how many groups to divide students into:
If you select Yes, the students will be sorted into groups and the changes will be saved.
Adding More Groups to the Group Set
To add another group to the set, select + under the last group. Be sure to select Save after you add groups (or Cancel if you decide not to save your changes).
To change the name of a single group, select the group name.
Then, type a new group name, and select Save.
Deleting a Group from the Set
To delete a single group, first remove all students from the group. (Only empty groups can be deleted.) Then, select the Delete group link under the group. Be sure to select Save after you delete a group (or Cancel if you don't want to save your changes).
Deleting a Group Set
Follow these steps to delete a custom group set that you have created.
- Select the Group based on drop-down list and select Add/Remove Group Sets.
- Select the red X to the right of the group set name.
Generating a PDF of the Page to Print or Save
Click the PDF icon at the top of the page to generate a PDF file. You can then print or save the file.
When you are ready to go back to the dashboard view that you came from, select the link at the top of the page.