Who can do this with default capabilities?
District Administrators, District Staff, School Administrators
Follow these steps to add parents and select their children. Parents who are added to the Renaissance Place database and assigned children can log in and view certain information and reports about their children. (Parents cannot view any other information.)
Administrators can turn off the ability of parents to log in to the software if you do not want to allow this by setting the security options for students and parents.
Note: Renaissance Home Connect is another way to keep parents informed about student work in Accelerated Reader (if it is available for your subscription). If Renaissance Home Connect is available on your Home page, for more information, select Renaissance Home Connect, then select What is Renaissance Home Connect.
If some of your personnel have children in district schools, you do not need to add them as parents if you have already added them as personnel. Since personnel can be included in parent searches, you can simply assign children to your personnel.
- On the Home page, select Users.
- Select Add Parent.
- The Add Parent page will open.
Type the parent's information in the appropriate blank fields.
To save the information and then add another parent, select Save and Add. Then, repeat step 3 to add the next parent.
- Required fields are marked with an asterisk (*).
- You can press the Tab key to move from one field to the next.
- To choose the person's salutation and gender, use the drop-down lists to choose the correct information.
- First and last names are limited to 35 characters.
- The user name and password cannot be the same.
- If you do not enter a user name or ID, the program will generate the information automatically.
- When you type the password, you will see asterisks or dots instead of the characters you type. The number of dots you see after you save do not necessarily reflect the number of characters in the password; this is a security feature.
To save the information and exit this page, select Save. You will go to the View Parent page.
To exit this page without adding the parent, select Cancel.
District personnel and school administrators typically see the information for the new parent and the existing person in the database on the Duplicate Parent Found page. They can do one of the following:
- Select Activate to activate (restore) the deleted parent.
- To edit the children for an existing parent whose record is active instead of adding a new parent, select Edit Children.
- If you want to add a new parent with the same name as an existing parent, select Add Parent.
- To stop the process of adding the parent, select Cancel.