You can download a free myON app for iPad from iTunes. In the app store, search for the keyword "myON" to find the app.
The app lets you do the following:
- Share iPads between students and classes - students select their name to use the app, and teachers can sync their rosters to the app on the device to quickly add their students.
- Download up to 20 books to read any time (even if you don't have an Internet connection after downloading). Every book in the collection is available to download for offline reading. You can select books to download through visual search or through the myon.com website on Safari or Chrome.
- Keep track of student reading statistics (online and offline), and sync activity to student myON accounts.
- Read books offline, with audio and highlighting if necessary.
The iPad app requires iOS 13 or later; note that only the three most recent versions of iOS are supported. To add accounts and download books, you must be able to connect to the Internet. iPhones are not supported; the app is intended to be used on iPads.
Note: iPads can also use the built-in Safari web browser to log in directly to myON.
Downloading the App
On the myON Home page at https://www.myon.com/index.html, select myON mobile apps in the bottom right corner.
Then, select iPad on the next page to go to the myON app page in the app store.
Opening the App
After downloading the app from the App Store, select the myON icon on your iPad.
Using the App
After downloading the app, you can immediately read the included Jackie Robinson book. To read other books, you must first add user accounts to the app.
Adding User Accounts to the App
Adding Yourself to the App
Whether you are a teacher or a student, you can add yourself to the iPad app by starting from myON in the web browser. Follow these steps:
- On the iPad, open your web browser and log in to myON.
- If you are a student, after you log in, select the tablet icon in the top right corner of the page.
If you are a teacher, after you log in, select your name, then select PIN in the menu that opens.
- In the window that opens, select Sign In. The app will open, and you will be added to the list of users.
Adding All Students in a Teacher's Roster
If you are a teacher, after you add yourself to the app, you will be asked if you want to sync all of the students in your roster to this device. Select Sync in the message. The next time you select the icon, you will see all students from the class in the list.
To remove users from the app, open the list of users, then swipe to the left on a user's name to reveal a Delete option. Select the option. You must enter the user name to finish deleting the user from the app.
Adding Users One by One
- Tap the icon in the bottom right corner of the screen; then, tap + Add in the user menu.
- To select your school, begin typing the name in the appropriate box or field, and matching options will be listed. You can also select Find school. Select your school from the list.
- The school name will be added to the Select School field. Enter your student's user name and password or PIN as you would to log in via a web browser. The app will record the student as a user of myON in the iPad app. In the future, the student will log in by selecting his or her name and entering the correct user name.
Note: Clever users may be required to use a PIN instead of a password. To find their PIN, users can log in to myON using a web browser on a computer. After students log in, they click the blue icon in the top right corner of the page to open a message with their PIN (see the example above). Teachers or administrators can select their name, then select PIN in the menu to open the PIN message as shown above.
Teachers and students who add themselves using myON in the browser and students that teachers added using sync do not need to log in; they can simply select their name from the users list. For users that were added manually, if you are asked to enter your user name, enter it and select Done.
Students can use the app when the iPad has Internet access and when it does not. Teachers may only log in when the device has an Internet connection, though they can set up a generic student account if they need to log in without Internet access.
Downloading Books in the App
To download books that you want to read in the app (offline or online), follow these steps.
- In the list of books, select the Add Book icon.
- If you want to find book by category, leave "Visual Search" selected at the top of the screen. Select a category that you're interested in (such as "Animals"). Then, select a subcategory (such as "Pets" in the example below). When you see a list of books, select the book that you're interested in.
If you want to search for a book with text, select Text Search at the top of the screen. Then, enter a keyword to search for. In the list of possible matching results, select a book title.
- The book information window will open with details about the book. To download the book, tap the green Add to iPad button. (If you decide not to download this book, simply click the red X to close the information about this book and search for another one.)
- Once you choose to add a book to the iPad, a gray icon with the book title will appear in the app window and a circle or horizontal bar will display the download progress.
When 20% of the book has been downloaded, the "Downloading" message will turn green, and you can begin reading the book. Note: As you read, a message might tell you the book is still downloading; you will need to wait until the book has finished downloading to continue reading.
When the book has been completely downloaded, the "Downloading" message will disappear, and you can read the entire book.
You can also open the Safari browser on the iPad and log in to the myon.com website to search for books. When you find a book to open, you'll see a blue download button that will open the app and add the book. When you select the button, confirm that you want to open the book in myON to continue.
If your network speed is slow, the book may download in Standard Definition instead of High Definition. If you want to improve the quality of the book in the app, tap the book to open the book information window; then, tap Get Best Quality to download the book in High Definition.
Reading a Book in the App
Once you've downloaded a book, you can select the book in the app to open it. Then, in the book information window, select Read Book. (You also have an option for removing a book that you no longer want to keep in the app.)
The book will open.
As you read the book, you can do the following:
Changing the Language of Book Categories
If you want to see book categories in the app in a different language, select Language at the bottom of the app screen; then, select the language that you would like to see.
Help in the App
For more help using the app, select Info in the bottom left corner of the app screen.