Linking Star Scores to Student Records in myON
If your school uses Star Reading and your myON license allows you to use Star scores, students' Star scores can be linked to myON so that myON can recommend books that are within each student's Zone of Proximal Development (ZPD). The Zone of Proximal Development (ZPD) is a range of suggested readability levels from which a student could select books to read. It is a range that is neither too hard nor too easy, within which students can experience optimal growth. Remember that ZPDs are approximate; use your professional judgment when recommending books to fit the ability level of each student.
When a student connects to Star, myON retrieves all of the student's Star Reading scores from the last two years. The most recent test provides the scores shown on the student's starting page in myON. As students take more tests, the information will be updated either the next time the student logs in or the next day (depending on the version of Renaissance software you are using).
You can see which students have linked their Star data and their Star scores on the myON with Star Report.
In the building settings, the Building Administrator determines which metrics are shown to students and listed in the myON with Star report.
Your students may or may not need to follow the steps below:
- If you log in using the myON login page, students follow the steps below to link their Star scores; students only need to connect to Star once.
- If you open myON from the Renaissance Home page, students' Star data is automatically linked, and students do not need to follow the steps below.
If necessary, each student follows these steps to link his or her Star Reading scores to the information in myON. (If you'd like to see a video, see https://renaissance.widen.net/s/wjttptd8cv.)
- After logging in, you will see a suggested ZPD based on your grade. If you have not yet linked your Star score, you will see "myON + ?", then "myON + Renaissance Star Reading". Select Connect Now at the bottom of the banner.
- Next, you will be asked to log in to the Renaissance software. Enter the user name and password that you use to log in when you take a Star test.
- You will go back to myON. After a moment, you will see the score from your most recent Star Reading test, the ATOS ZPD that based on that test, and your Lexile® score.
If you see a message telling you that you will see your score once you have taken a Star test, you have not yet taken a Star Reading test.
The Star score is shown using the Unified Scale.
Once you see your Star Reading scores, you can select See more to see your Star scores for the last two years along with the number of days with reading and the number of minutes you read. You can choose to see your ZPD, Star score, or Lexile® scores from your Star tests.