You can download a free myON app for myON from the Google Play store. In the app store, search for the keyword "myON" to find the app.
The app lets you do the following:
- Share tablets between students and classes - students log in to use the app.
- Download up to 20 books to read any time (even if you don't have an Internet connection after downloading). Every book in the collection is available to download for offline reading. You can select books to download through visual search or through the myon.com website in a browser on the tablet.
- Keep track of student reading statistics (online and offline), and sync activity to student myON accounts.
- Read books offline, with audio and highlighting if necessary.
The app requires an Android tablet using a standard version of Android OS version 4.1 or higher. To add accounts and download books, you must be able to connect to the Internet. Phones are not supported; the app is intended to be used on tablets.
Note: Android tablets can also use the built-in web browser to directly access www.myon.com.
Opening the App
After downloading the app, select the myON icon on your Android tablet.
Using the App
After downloading the app, you can immediately read the included Jackie Robinson book. To read other books, you must first add user accounts to the app.
Adding User Accounts
Adding Users One by One
- To check which users are already in the app, select the Users icon in the top right corner of the screen.
- Tap the Link User icon in the top right corner of the screen.
- To select your school, begin typing the name in the School field, and matching options will be listed. Select your school from the list.
- The school name will be added to the School field. Enter your student's user name and password or PIN as you would to log in via a web browser; then, select Link. The app will record the student as a user of myON in the app. In the future, the student will log in by selecting his or her name and entering the correct user name.
Note: Clever users may be required to use a PIN instead of a password. To find their PIN, users can log in to myon.com using a web browser on a computer; after you log in, your PIN is in the upper-right corner of the page near your name.
Adding All Students in a Teacher's Roster
If you add a teacher instead of a student, you will be asked if you want to sync all of the students in your roster to this device. Select Sync in the message. The next time you select the Users icon, you will see all students from the class in the list.
To remove users from the app, open the list of users, then press and hold a user's name to see two options: Delete and Sign In. Select the Delete option. You must enter the user name and select Delete again to finish deleting the user from the app.
Once you have added users, you can log in to begin downloading and reading other books in the app. Students can log in when the tablet has Internet access and when it does not. Teachers may only log in when the device has an Internet connection; set up a generic student account if the teacher wants to read books offline too.
- Tap the icon in the top right corner.
- Select your name from the list of users.
- Enter your user name and select Sign In.
Downloading Books in the App
To download books that you want to read in the app (offline or online), follow these steps.
- In the list of books, select the Add Book icon in the top right corner of the screen.
- If you want to find book by category, select a category that you're interested in (such as "Animals"). Then, select a subcategory (such as "Pets" in the example below). When you see a list of books, select the book that you're interested in.
If you want to search for a book with text, select the magnifying glass in the top right corner of the screen. Then, enter a keyword to search for. In the list of possible matching results, select a book title.
- The book information window will open with details about the book. To download the book, tap the Add to device button. (If you decide not to download this book, simply click the red X to close the information about this book and search for another one.)
- Once you choose to add a book to the app, a gray icon with the book title will appear in the app window and a circle or horizontal bar will display the download progress. When the download is complete, the circle or bar will disappear, and a portion of the book cover will display in color.
You can also open the browser on the tablet and log in to the myon.com website to search for books. When you find a book to open, you'll see a blue download button that will open the app and add the book.
Reading a Book in the App
Once you've downloaded a book, you can select a book in the app to open it. Then, in the book information window, select Read Book. (You also have an option for removing a book that you no longer want to keep in the app.)
The book will open.
As you read the book, you can do the following:
Help in the App
For more help using the app, select the i button in the top right corner of the page.