Important Facts about Syncing Freckle and ClassLink
Who can do this with default capabilities?
What is ClassLink?
ClassLink is a roster management platform that syncs with your district's student information system (SIS) allowing for excellent data fidelity, consistently accurate rosters within Freckle, and easy access for students and teachers via single sign-on (SSO). Teacher accounts are also automatically created for those listed in the district's SIS.
How does integrating with ClassLink help our school/district?
- Single sign-on for teachers and students leads to easy Freckle access (which means higher utilization and more student growth).
- Any roster changes are synced from the SIS nightly, ensuring accurate rosters.
- The ClassLink sync captures each student's SIS ID, ensuring data is accurate for each student.
- Data is able to be downloaded with the student's SIS ID attached, allowing for easier and more accurate measurement of student growth.
- Syncing with ClassLink automatically creates Freckle teacher accounts with finalized rosters for teachers who are new to the program.
- Sharing and transferring of students happens automatically based on rosters in the SIS, and changes are reflected as they are made in the SIS.
Are there any additional aspects to be aware of?
- The ClassLink sync may create new teacher accounts. When this happens, the system will generate an automatic email to these teachers welcoming them to Freckle and prompting them to create a password if they would like the ability to log in through classroom.freckle.com.
- Teacher rosters will be locked down. Teachers will not be able to edit, add, or remove students after syncing with ClassLink. Those changes must be made by the ClassLink account administrator at your school or district. However, it is possible for ClassLink-managed teachers to share students with other teachers.
- ClassLink pulls directly from the SIS, and each SIS is different. This means that the architecture of the SIS will be reflected exactly in Freckle.
Because of this, ensure that your ClassLink administrator understands your goals for using Freckle and how the SIS rosters are set up. This is important when exporting to ClassLink via "sharing rules."
This can become complicated if your school/district plans to use Freckle during flexible grouping time if these groups are not reflected in the SIS rosters.
- Troubleshooting requires a bit of time. Since the sync involves the SIS, ClassLink, and Freckle interacting, it can take time to identify the root of the issue and communicate between the various parties.
- We recommend familiarizing yourself with ClassLink's sharing and rostering rules.
How do we get started with ClassLink?
Discuss next steps for getting started with your Freckle Account Manager, or email email@example.com for additional information.