Troubleshooting: generating a HAR file
When troubleshooting complex issues, it is sometimes necessary for Freckle Support to obtain additional information about the network requests that are generated in your browser while an issue occurs. A Freckle engineer may request that you record a HAR file, or a log of network requests, while that issue is occurring and then provide that to them for further analysis.
Below are some instructions about how you can easily generate a HAR file using Google Chrome. If you do not already have Google Chrome installed, please download it here and install it.
To generate the HAR file:
- Open Google Chrome and go to the page where the issue is occurring.
- Right-click anywhere on the page and select Inspect Element.
- In the panel opens at the bottom of your screen, select the Network tab.
- Look for a round Record button () in the upper-left corner of the Network tab, and make sure it is red. If it is gray, select it to start recording.
- Check the Preserve box.
- Select the Clear button ( ) to clear out any existing logs from the Network tab.
- Try to reproduce the issue that you were experiencing before, while the network requests are being recorded.
- Once you have reproduced the issue, right-click anywhere on the grid of network requests in the panel at the bottom of your screen, select Save as HAR with Content, and save the file to your computer.
- Send the HAR file to us at email@example.com.
In rare cases the file might be too large for an email attachment, in which case your options are to: (a) compress the file and send it to us at the email above, or (b) upload the file to Google Drive or Dropbox and send us a link to it.