Star Math - Estimated Math Instructional Level (MIL) Preference
How do I get to this page?
- Log in to Renaissance Place.
- On the Home page, select Star Math (or Math Assessments under Star 360 if you are using the Star 360 Suite).
- Select Preferences.
- On the Preferences page, select Edit at the end of the Estimated Math Instructional Level row.
Who can do this with default capabilities?
- District Level Administrators: any class or group in any school in the district
- School Level Administrators: any class or group in their school
- Teachers: any of their own classes or groups
Star Math normally starts a student's first test with questions slightly below the student's grade level. If the student has taken a Star Math test in the past six months, Star Math uses the results from the last test to decide the starting difficulty level for the next one.
However, when students have an Estimated Math Instructional Level (MIL) set, Star Math uses that level to decide how difficult the first question should be. You should only enter an Estimated MIL for students who receive math instruction at a higher or lower level than their current grade. Setting the Estimated MIL will only impact the student's very first assessment or if the student has not assessed within a 180-day span.
Select the shaded section of the "Setting for..." sentence to choose which classes or groups you want to set the Estimated Math Instructional Level Preference for .
In the window that opens, select a school in the Schools column . (The preference can only be set for one school at a time. Teachers who are only assigned to one school will not need to select a school.)
Select a class or group in the Classes and Groups column . (The preference can only be set for one class or group at a time. Teachers will only see their own classes or groups listed.)
You can search the items in a column by clicking within that column and then typing Ctrl+F or control-F on the keyboard.
In the Students column , you have two options :
- Choose All Students to set the preference for all students in the chosen class or group. All the students in the class or group (listed below these options) will be checked.
- Choose Select Students if you want to set the preference only for specific students in the class or group. Check the students you want to set the preference for .
Select Apply to apply your choices, or Cancel to close this window without saving your changes.
The students you chose will be listed on the Estimated Math Instructional Level page, and described in the "Setting for..." sentence.
For each student, enter a grade level (a whole number from 1–12) in the field after the student's name .
When you have finished making your changes, select Save Changes to save them (you will see a confirmation message once your changes have been saved). You can also select Undo Changes to undo your changes to the preference setting.
Select Back at the top of the page to return to the Preferences page when you are done.