Setting Up a New Intervention
Who can do this with default capabilities?
District Level Administrators, District Staff, School Level Administrators, School Staff, Teachers
Interventions and goals are set for individual students, and can only be set after a student has taken his or her first Star Early Literacy test.
Note: Teachers who have had the Manage Star Early Literacy Screening, Progress Monitoring & Intervention capability removed can only set up and edit intervention goals for their own students.
Interventions are set up from the Student Details page. There are
two ways to reach this page—use whichever method you prefer, then go to step 1:
- Click Add Goal .
- On the Manage Goals page, you can begin entering the information for the intervention:
- In the Intervention Name field (in the top row of the Intervention Details table), type a title for the intervention (maximum of 100 characters). This title will appear on any Student Progress Monitoring Reports created for the student.
- Select the date you want the student to reach the goal by . You can either type in a date or use the calendar button to select one.
- In the Goal section, use the Starting test drop-down list to choose which test should serve as the student's starting test information (the date of the test and the student's Scaled Score and Percentile Rank on that test).
Note: If you don't see the Starting test drop-down, the student has only taken one test. The date of the only test is shown. You will see the Starting test drop-down list if the student has taken more than one test.
- Click Calculate Goal .
- After values for the goals have been calculated, select one of them for the student .
- The Moderate goal tells you how many Scaled Score points the student would need to gain every week to have an SGP of 50.
- The Moderately Ambitious goal tells you how many Scaled Score points the student would need to gain every week to have an SGP of 66.
- You can also set a custom goal by using the drop-down list to choose Scaled Score or Percentile Rank, entering the goal for the student, and clicking Calculate Goal.
Jacinta has taken her first Star Early Literacy test. Her Scaled Score (SS) is 399 and her Percentile Rank (PR) is 39. The teacher sets up an intervention and goal for Jacinta to reach in 8 weeks.
- If the teacher wants to set a goal based on Scaled Score (SS), the teacher selects Scaled Score from the drop-down list, enters the SS Jacinta should reach within 8 weeks (for this example, 425), and then clicks Calculate Goal. The number of SS points Jacinta's score needs to increase by every week will be displayed (3.3 SS/week), as well as the PR score that is equivalent to the goal of 425 SS (48 PR).
- If the teacher wants to set a goal based on Percentile Rank (PR), the teacher selects Percentile Rank from the drop-down list, enters the PR Jacinta should reach within 8 weeks (for this example, 53), and then clicks Calculate Goal. The number of Scaled Score points Jacinta's score needs to increase by every week will be displayed (4.3 SS/week), as well as the SS that is equivalent to the goal of 53 PR (437 SS).
For additional information about the scores and the functions they serve in the Screening Report and Student Progress Monitoring Report, click Interpretations & Guidance at the top of the Intervention Details table.
- When you have finished entering all the data for the student's intervention and goals, click Save.
To leave this page without saving any of the data, click Cancel.