Setting Security Options for Students and Parents
Who can do this with default capabilities?
Renaissance Place has four settings that deal with the access your students and parents have to the program:
This setting allows you to specify which computer network students can use to log in to Renaissance Place. If you don't specify any external IP addresses for the computer network that you want students to use, students may be able to access the program from any computer that has an Internet connection--even from home, which is a violation of your site license.
If a student forgets his or her user name, the student can select Forgot Your User Name? to find it. This setting allows you to turn this link off so that students will be unable to search for user names (their own or others').
This setting determines whether parents are allowed to log in to Renaissance Place. If Do Not Allow is chosen, the Renaissance Place Welcome screen will not provide a link for parents to select so they can log in to the software, even if they have a user name and password. Only links allowing students and teachers/administrators to log in will be shown.
This setting allows you to require an answer to a security question when parents request access to the program. All parents will be asked the same question. The answer to the security question can help you make sure that the student's parent or guardian is really the person requesting access. (Make sure that the information you're requesting is information that the district can confirm.)
To set the security options:
- On the Home page, select Product Administration.
- Select Set Security Options for Students and Parents.
- If you want to limit which computers students can use to log in to Renaissance Place, use the Restrict Student Workstations setting. By doing this, you can prevent students from taking tests or doing work from home.
Restrictions are set using the external IP address or addresses that identify the computer network at your school. Students will be able to use computers in that network to access Renaissance Place software. To enter the external IP address(es), follow the instructions below. If you don't want to restrict access, do not enter any addresses.
If you don't want students to be able to search for user names, select Do not show for the Provide Student Login Assistance setting.
- To enter external IP addresses, click in the field and type them. You can specify one external IP address (one computer network), a range of external IP addresses (for multiple computer networks in your school or district), or one or more subnet ranges (external IP addresses that begin with the same numbers). See the examples and consult your technology/computer coordinator or network administrator for guidance as you set these restrictions. See the left-hand column for guidelines.
- Just above the field for entering the addresses, a message will show you the external IP address that applies to the computer you are using now. If it is not in the list, you will see an Add to list button; select it to add this address to the list. If this external IP address is already in the list, the message will tell you that.
Be sure to use the external, not internal, IP addresses when you set the restrictions. For more help with this, see the Knowledge Base article at http://support.renaissance.com/techkb/techkb/6873121e.asp.
Restricting student work to your school IP addresses is strongly recommended. If you do not enter external IP addresses to restrict where student work is allowed, students can quiz or test from any computer connected to the Internet, even from home, which is a violation of your site license.
If you don't want parents to be able to log in to Renaissance Place, select Do not allow for the Allow Parent Access setting.
If you want to require parents who request access to the program to answer a security question, select Show the following security question for the Ask Parent Security Question setting and enter the question in the blank field below.
Select Save to save your changes, or select Cancel to leave this page without saving your changes.