If you have imported your student records from different files, or if different users have added students from different locations, you may find that the same student has been entered into your database more than once. When this happens, you can follow the steps below to merge the student records into one record.
Who can do this with default capabilities?
District Administrators, School Administrators
- On the Home page, select Users.
- Select Merge Student Records.
If there are already merge candidates (resulting from an RP or RDT import), the Merge Students--Merge Candidates page will open when you select Merge Student Records. Skip ahead to step 6.
- Type the student's information in the appropriate blank fields. You don't need to fill in all the information or complete information; the software can perform partial matches.
- You can also select the student's grade from the Grade drop-down list.
- School administrators can use the Class drop-down list to search by class. They can also check the Show Students in All Schools box to include students from other schools in the search.
- Check the Show Unenrolled Students box if you want to include students who are not enrolled in a school in the search results. Unenrolled students may have no school assignments, or they may have been deleted, but not permanently. (If you are a school administrator or school staff member, checking this box only finds students who were previously enrolled in your school.)
- Select Search.
- The students who match your search will be listed at the bottom of the page. Find the two student records that you want to merge and click Select in the row for each record . When you do this, the student's name will be added to the list at the top of the page.
You can only select two records. If both records aren't listed in the results for your first search, select one of the records and do another search to find the other record.
If you accidentally select a student record that you do not want to merge with another record, remove it by selecting Remove next to that record in the list at the top of the page.
- The next step depends on which page you are on:
The Merge Students--Details page provides detailed information from both student records. This comparison also shows you which school(s) and classes each student is enrolled in and whether the student has data for any of the Renaissance Place products installed on this server. Review this comparison carefully.
- If you are on the Merge Students--Merge Candidates page, select Compare at the end of a row to compare the students in the row.
- If you are on the Merge Students--Student Search page, select Compare .
The bottom of the page lists the options that are available for merging the records.
When you merge two students who both have English in a Flash data in their records, the most recent data will always be kept, regardless of which option you choose on the Merge Students--Details page. Be aware that this may result in a loss of data. If students have lost data, they can get extra practice by taking the chapters again; if they truly know the material, they can skip chapters and quickly return to where they were previously.
Select the option you want. Then, select Next >.
The next page will confirm the options you chose and provide detailed information about what the program is about to do. Read through this information carefully.
- If you chose to merge students, select Merge to continue. The next page will confirm that the records have been merged. Select Done if you have finished merging student records. If you want to merge other records, select Merge Again.
- If you chose to delete one of the students, select Delete to continue. The next page will confirm that the chosen record has been deleted. Select Done if you have finished merging student records. If you want to merge other records, select Merge Again.
- If you chose to keep both records, select Keep Both to continue. The next page will confirm that the students were not merged. Select Done if you have finished merging student records. If you want to merge other records, select Merge Again.