Exporting Student Information
By following the steps below, you can export student information. There are three reasons to do this:
- To save basic student information (and test data for some products)
- To provide a file that can be imported into Renaissance Place on another site or a desktop program
- To provide a file to Renaissance Learning
Who can do this with default capabilities?
District Administrators, School Administrators
If you are a school administrator and you are assigned to more than one school, on the Home page, select your name, then select Change Role to choose the school you want to work with before following these steps.
- On the Home page, select Users.
- Select Export Information.
- The Select Student page lists some levels at which you can export students. Depending on your access, you may be able to export students for schools, teachers, classes, and individual students. If the level you need is shown, select Export in the row for that level. If the level is not shown, some of the items in the Name column will be links; select a link to see more levels. For example, you may be able to select on a teacher's name to see that teacher's classes or a class name to see a list of students enrolled in the class. The page may include a drop-down list that lets you switch to another school, teacher, or class.
More about how to choose what to export
After you select Export, the Select Export Options page will open. This page lists the types of export files you can create. Check the box for each type of file that you will need. The file types are described below. The types that are available depend on the group you chose; for example, if you chose an entire school, only the Diagnostic Export and the Flat File Student Assessment Export will be available.
- To export student information for all students in a school, select Export in the row for that school. At the school level, the only exports available are the Accelerated Math diagnostic export and the flat file student assessment export for Accelerated Reader, Star Early Literacy, Star Math, and Star Reading.
- To export information for all of one teacher's students, select the school name. Then, select Teachers below the school name if it is not already selected. Select Export in the row for the teacher whose students you want to export.
- To export information about all students in a class, select the school name. Then, select Classes below the school name. Select Export in the row for the class.
- To export information about all students in a specific grade at one school, select the school name. Then, select Grades below the school name. Select Export in the row for that grade.
- Exporting information about a single student requires you to select just that student. There are three ways to do this after you select the school name:
- Select Teachers below the school name, then select the teacher's name. Then, either select Students below the teacher name to see all the teacher's students, or select the name of the class to see a list of students in that class. Select Export in the row for the student you want to export.
- Select Classes below the school name, then select the name of the class to see a list of students in the class. Select Export in the row for the student you want to export.
- Select Grades below the school name, then select the student's grade to see a list of all students in that grade. Select Export in the row for the student you want to export.
Use this format to save data so that you may import it into another Renaissance Place database.
Checking the Export student information only box will limit the export to students' personal information, such as name, gender, ethnicity, etc.
Checking any of the product boxes will export the students' quiz/test records for the chosen product. (If any of the product boxes are chosen, the students' personal information will also be included in the export, regardless of whether the Export student information only box is checked.)
No matter how many boxes you check in this section, you will receive one file that includes all the selected Renaissance Place information for the students.
Choose this format if you want to import student information into a Renaissance Learning desktop product that is not a Renaissance Place product. The available product formats are listed. Check the box for each one you want to select. You will receive a separate file for each product.
When exporting data out of Renaissance Place in a desktop-compatible format, each student's user name will be updated using the first initial of the student's first name and first four characters of the student's last name. Each student's password will be updated using the student's first and last initials. This is because Renaissance Place programs can handle longer user names and passwords than Desktop programs can.
Use this format to export data that you want to send to a Renaissance Learning consultant or that you want to send for Renaissance Learning research.
Use this format to export assessment data from Accelerated Reader, Star Early Literacy, Star Math, and/or Star Reading into a delimited text file, suitable for opening in spreadsheets. (This file format cannot be re-imported into Renaissance Place.) The flat file export includes:
- Student ID
- Student first, middle, and last name
- Student birth date
- Student grade
- Student gender
- Student ethnicity
- Student characteristics
- Student school name
- Teacher's first, middle, and last name
- Course name
- Class name
- Date and time test was taken
- For Accelerated Reader quizzes: quiz name, type, whether audio was used, number of questions correct and presented, points possible and those earned, word count, book level, fiction/nonfiction, TWI information, and quiz language
- For Star tests: student's grade at the time of the assessment, student's grade placement (grade plus month after decimal point), and student's scores
Extended time limits for Star Math tests will not be included in the Desktop or Flat File exports.
After you select the type(s) of export files you want to create, select Next > to continue.
If you chose a Renaissance Place Export or Desktop Export, skip to step 7.
If you chose a Diagnostic Export, choose the options for that export file. Use this page to choose the date range for the data in the file, enter your school ID, and choose whether to include individual student data. To choose the date range, type the start and end dates for the range in the appropriate blank fields, or select the calendar buttons and select the dates. Next, select in the blank School ID field and type the ID that Renaissance Learning provided to you. If you want the file to include individual student data, check the box for this option. When you're ready to continue, select Next >.
If you chose a Flat File Student Assessment Export, enter the start and end dates for the data that you want to export. Type the dates, or select the calendar buttons and select the dates; then, select Next >.
On the Generating Export Files page, your files will be available after a short time. Select Download next to each file format to download your files and save them to the desired location.
Select Done after you've finished downloading your export files.