Follow the steps below to edit a student's personal information (characteristics are changed separately). Keep these restrictions in mind:
- You cannot edit information for a student who is not currently enrolled in a school. If you want to change information for an unenrolled student, you must enroll the student in a school first.
- School administrators can only edit information for students in their school.
Who can do this with default capabilities?
District Administrators, District Staff, School Administrators
If you are a school administrator and you are assigned to more than one school, on the Home page, select your name, then select Change Role to choose the school you want to work with before following these steps.
- On the Home page, select Users.
- Select View Students.
- In the School drop-down list (if available), choose whether to search in all schools or a specific school; you can also search for students who are not enrolled in a school. The schools that are available depend on your role.
- Choose a grade from the drop-down list or leave All selected.
- Choose a class from the drop-down list or choose to search for students in any class, those not in a class, or all students. (You can only select a specific class if you are searching in a specific school.)
- If you want to find a specific student, enter the student's first name, last name, ID, and/or user name. You do not need to enter the entire name or ID; the software can find partial matches.
School administrators can only edit information for students in their own school.
- Select Search.
- The students who matched your search will be listed at the bottom of the page. Select the name of the student you want to edit. (If the list is long, you will see only a part of it; you can select and to move forward and back in the list.)
If the student is assigned to more than one school, the student may be listed more than once - once for each school. Be sure to select the student at the school for which you want to edit the student's information.
- You will go to the Details tab on the Student Information page. There, you can change most of the student's information by deleting the old information and typing the new information. To choose a different gender, grade level, ethnicity, or language, use the appropriate drop-down lists.
Remember that when you change the student's grade, the grade will also be adjusted in previous and future school years. In the school year before this one, the grade will be one level lower. In the next school year after this one, the grade will be one level higher. For example, if you set the student's grade to 3 for this school year, the student's grade will be 2 for the last school year and 4 for the next school year.
Information that is required is marked with an asterisk (*). Other information is optional--you don't need to leave information in any field that is not marked with an asterisk unless this information is useful to you.
When you change passwords, you will see dots instead of the characters you type.
If you want to require the student to change his or her password the next time the student logs in to this program (not any locally installed programs associated with this software), check the User must change password at next login box. This requirement affects programs that require the student to log in to this browser-based software to practice, take quizzes, or take online assessments. The requirement does not affect separate programs that are downloaded from the Software Requirements page.
If you change user names and passwords, students will need both their user names and passwords.
- To save the changes to this student's information and exit the page, select Save; if you want to change information on other tabs before saving, select those tabs and make your changes before you select Save. If you decide not to change the student's information, select Cancel.
If you change the student’s name, and the name now matches the name of another student in the database, the Duplicate Student Found page will open. You can choose to keep the name change despite the matching record (by selecting Add Student on this page), to add the existing matching student to another school (by selecting Add for that school), to activate a record for a student whose record was deleted, but not permanently (by selecting Activate), or to cancel.