Changing the Characteristics Assigned to Students
Assigning characteristics allows you to focus on specific groups in reports, such as gifted/talented students or students with special needs.
Who can do this with default capabilities?
District Administrators, District Staff, School Administrators
Note: Students must be enrolled in a school before you can assign characteristics to them. If you are a school administrator, you can only assign characteristics to students who are enrolled in your school.
If you are a school administrator and you are assigned to more than one school, on the Home page, select your name, then select Change Role to choose the school you want to work with before following these steps.
- On the Home page, select Users.
- Select View Students.
- In the School drop-down list (if available), choose whether to search in all schools or a specific school; do not choose students who are not enrolled in a school since they cannot have characteristics assigned. The schools that are available depend on your role.
- Choose a grade from the drop-down list or leave All selected.
- Choose a class from the drop-down list, or choose to search for students in any class, those not in a class, or all students. (You can only choose a specific class if you are searching in a specific school.)
- If you want to find a specific student, enter the student's first name, last name, ID, and/or user name. You do not need to enter the entire name or ID; the software can find partial matches.
- Select Search.
- The students who matched your search will be listed under the buttons. Select the name of the student whose characteristics you want to edit. (If the list is long, you will see only a part of it; you can select and to move forward and back in the list.)
Note: If the student is in more than one school, the student's name is marked with *, and the student is listed once for each school. Select the student's name for the school for which you want to set the student's characteristics.
- Select the Characteristics tab on the Student Information page.
- Check the box by each characteristic you want to assign to this student. The characteristics apply only at the school that is listed.
If you don't see a characteristic that you would like to assign to your students, you can add it by managing characteristics.
- Select Save to save the characteristics you have selected; if you want to change information on other tabs before saving, select those tabs and make your changes before you select Save. If you do not want to save your changes, select Cancel.