Assigning Student Characteristics to a Student
Characteristics (such as Gifted/Talented or English as a Second Language [ESL]) are useful if you need to monitor progress for specific student groups. In many Renaissance Learning programs, you can limit reports to students with a specific characteristic. The Renaissance Place program comes with a default set of characteristics; if you do not see the characteristic you need in the default list, you can add more characteristics for your school.
Who can do this with default capabilities?
District Administrators, District Staff, School Administrators
You can only change characteristics for students who are enrolled in a school; school administrators can only change characteristics for students enrolled in their school (not in other schools).
If you are a school administrator and you are assigned to more than one school, on the Home page, select your name and then select Change Role to choose the school you want to work with before following these steps.
- On the Home page, select Users.
- Select View Students.
- In the School drop-down list (if available), choose whether to search in all schools or a specific school; do not search for students who are not enrolled in a school since they cannot have characteristics assigned. The schools that are available depend on your role.
- Choose a grade from the drop-down list or leave All selected.
- Choose a class from the drop-down list or choose to search for students enrolled in any class, those not enrolled in a class, or all students regardless of class enrollment. (You can only select a specific class if you are searching in a specific school.)
- If you want to find a specific student, enter the student's first name, last name, ID, and/or user name. You do not need to enter the entire name or ID; the software can find partial matches.
- Select Search.
- The students who matched your search will be listed under the buttons. Select the name of the student that you want to assign characteristics to. (If the list is long, you will see only a part of it; you can select and to move forward and back in the list.)
If the student is assigned to more than one school, the student will be listed once for each school and will be marked with *. Be sure to select the student's name for the school where you want to assign the characteristic(s). Characteristics will be assigned only at the school you select.
- Select the Characteristics tab.
- Check the box next to each characteristic that you want to assign to this student. (If the characteristic that you want to assign is not listed, you can add it by managing characteristics.)
- To save the changes to this student's characteristics, select Save; if you want to change information on other tabs, select those tabs and make your changes before you select Save. If you decide not to change the student's information, select Cancel.