Adding or Editing Marking Periods
Marking periods are used when you add classes; they show the duration of the class. If your classes last the entire school year, you do not need to add a marking period that lasts the entire year because the software will allow you to select the school year as the marking period when you add classes.
Marking periods are also available when you generate reports, and they are used when you set goals in Accelerated Reader. You must add marking periods for which you plan to set goals.
Who can do this with default capabilities?
District Administrators, District Staff, School Administrators, School Staff
If you are a school administrator and you are assigned to more than one school, on the Home page, select your name and then select Change Role to choose the school you want to work with before following these steps.
You can only add or edit marking periods in the current school year or a future school year. In past school years, the links for adding or editing the marking periods will not be available, but you will be able to view the marking periods.
- If you want to add or edit marking periods for a future school year, you must choose to work in that school year first.
- On the Home page, select School Years.
- Select Add/Edit Marking Periods.
- If you are a district administrator or district staff member, on the Select Schools page, check the box next to each school that needs marking periods set. Then, select Next >.
- On the Add/Edit Marking Periods page, enter the information for the marking periods.
If you see the Copy Marking Periods link, you can select it to copy marking periods from the previous school year. This link is not available if there are no marking periods to copy or you have already copied them.
To add a marking period:
- Type the marking period name, the start date, and the end date in the appropriate blank fields. (You can also select the calendar buttons to select dates.)
- Select the type of marking period from the Type drop-down list.
- After entering the information, select Add.
After you add the first marking period, the marking periods that you have added so far will be listed at the bottom of the page.
To add more marking periods, repeat step 5. Select Save when you have finished.
If you are setting marking periods for multiple schools, select the number of schools at the top of the page or in the table to see the school names.
When you add or edit a marking period, you cannot set a marking period with the same name and dates as one that is already in the list. If you are setting marking periods for more than one school, and you need to add a marking period for one school that is already there for the others, save your changes to go back to the School Years page; then, repeat these steps, selecting only the school that needs that marking period added. You can then add the marking period with the same name and dates used for the other schools.