Before you add classes:
- Add the courses that the classes will be in if they don't already exist. (Note that unlike classes, courses stay in the software from year to year, so they don't need to be added every year.)
The school year that you are working in appears next to your name in the upper-right section of most pages (except the Home page). If you are not working in the correct school year, go back to the Home page, select School Years, and select Work in a Different School Year.
- It is helpful to have your marking periods set up. When you add classes, you select the marking period that reflects the duration of the class (or the entire school year).
- If you have already set up the same classes in a previous school year, you can copy those classes instead of adding them manually again.
- You may be able to import classes from another source instead of adding them one by one.
Follow the steps below to add classes to courses.
Who can do this with default capabilities?
District Administrators, District Staff, School Administrators, School Staff
If you are a school administrator and you are assigned to more than one school, on the Home page, select your name and then select Change Role to choose the school you want to work with before following these steps.
On the Add Class page, enter the class information:
- On the Home page, select Courses and Classes.
- If you have a School drop-down list, choose the school that needs classes added.
- On the Courses and Classes page, do one of the following:
- Class Name: A class name is required.
- Primary Teacher: You must select a primary teacher before you can save the class.
- Marking Period: Choose the time period during which the class takes place: one of the marking periods added in Renaissance Place or the entire school year.
- Products: Check the products that the class will use (or click Select All to check all products). You must select at least one product. Students in the class can only work in the products that you select.
Select Add Students to search for and add the students who are in the class.
If you save a class without students, the class will be on the Incomplete Classes tab.
On the Add/Remove Students page, search for the students that you want to enroll in the class. You can enter the
first name, last name, and/or ID in the blank fields on the right to search ( below) for individual students, or select a grade without entering other information if you want to
find all students in the grade. Then, select Search to see the results. Only
students in this school will be found.
In your search results, check the box next to each student that you want to enroll in the class (see example above). To select all students in the list, check the Student box at the top of the list.
If the list of students in the search results is long, it will be split into multiple pages. Select Next >> () above the results to go to the next page or << Previous to go back.
Select < Add at the top of the search results () to enroll the checked students in the class. The students will be added to the list on the left, but their names will be in bold so you can see which ones will not be in the class until you save your changes.
If you decide to remove some of the students from the class, select Remove next to the students you want to remove (), or select Remove All to remove all of the students from the class.
Select Continue to finish adding students and to go back to the Add Class page.
To finish adding the class, select Save. (If you don't want to save your changes, select Cancel instead.)
After you add a class, you can add additional (team) teachers who may need to see the class.
If you select Cancel, but you have made changes to the class (including changes to the students in the class), an Unsaved Changes window will open. If you want to save the changes you made, select Save; if you want to leave the page without saving any changes (including changes to the students), select Don't Save. To stay on the page, select Cancel.
If your new class name is the same as an inactive (deleted) class name, the Duplicate Class Found page will open. This page will give you the opportunity to activate the deleted class (by selecting Activate). If you activate a deleted class, you will be asked whether you want to activate the class name only (Only) or all records (All Records), including the assigned teachers and enrolled students.