Creating Student Groups
You can assign article assignments to your classes or groups. If you would like to create additional instructional groups within your classes, follow the steps below.
Note that the groups that you create through Accelerated Reader 360 are Reading groups; they will also be visible in Reading Dashboard views, Planner (when Reading is selected), and Star Custom (when Reading is selected). In Accelerated Reader 360, you will also see groups created in those products for Reading.
- On the main AR 360 page, select either Find Articles by Skills or Standards or Find Articles by Topic and Keyword.
- Select Manage Groups in the top right corner of the Select Skills or Topics to Practice page. Note that the button is not there if you have selected to plan for more than one class or school on the page.
- When you go to the Manage Groups page, follow these steps to select the class that you want to create groups for:
- Select the link after "I am managing groups for." (When you move the cursor over the link, it will change to Edit Selection.)
- In the window that opens, choose the school (if shown), the teacher, and the class. The selections that you need to make depend on your position; teachers typically only need to choose the class to work with.
If you have access to more than one school or teacher, choose one of the options at the top of each column first (All Schools/All Teachers or Select Schools/Select Teachers). If you choose to select schools or teachers, check the ones whose classes you want to see. Then, select the class in the last column.
- Select Apply.
The class that you selected will be shown on the page, and the students' Star data will be shown in the graph if they have both a Scaled Score and a Student Growth Percentile (SGP). Note: You will not see anything on the graph until you have created groups.
Note that groups can only include students from the same class. If you work with students from multiple classes, ask your administrator to create a separate class for you with those students so that you can set up the appropriate groups.
- If groups have already been created for the class, select the Group based on drop-down list and select Add/Remove Group Sets.
If no groups have been created yet, select Create a Group Set and skip step 6.
A group set is a container for the groups that you create. You can have different group sets that you use for different purposes.
- Select Create a Group Set.
If you want your new group set to be based on one that already exists, select the copy icon next to that group set instead of choosing Create a Group Set. Then, continue with the steps below.
- Enter a name for your new group set; then, select Save.
- Next you'll see the students in your new group set. All students will be in the same group. To create additional groups and move students into them, see the instructions under "Arranging Students in Groups" below. When you're done, select Save.
Arranging Students in Groups
Once you have created new groups or selected the groups that you want to work with, you can move students between groups within the set. You can also add, rename, or delete groups.
After you make changes of any kind, be sure to select Save before you leave the page if you want to save the changes. If you've made changes and you don't want to save them, select Cancel.
Moving Students Between Groups
To move a student from one group to another, select the students' name and drag the student to the new group. You can then drag the student's name to one of the buttons to choose whether to Move the student to the new group or to Copy the student into the new group while leaving the student in the original group as well. Be sure to select Save above the groups after you make changes (or Cancel if you decide not to save your changes).
Automatically Sorting Students into Groups Based on Star Data
The auto-sort option may not be available in your version of the software.
You can also automatically sort students into groups based on their Star Reading test results. When you do this, your changes are automatically saved when the sorting is complete. Follow these steps:
- First, choose to create or edit a group set as described above.
- Select auto-sort students above the Save and Cancel buttons.
- You can choose to sort students by benchmarks or by their Scaled Scores and Student Growth Percentiles (SGPs). Select the criteria that you want to use.
- Use the drop-down list next to the options to choose more criteria:
Select Go below the options.
A message will remind you that the changes will be saved and that there is not a way to go back to your previous groups. If you want to continue, select Yes; if not, select No.
- If you chose Benchmarks, you can choose which benchmarks to use to sort the students:
- If you chose Scaled Score and SGP, you can choose how many groups to divide students into:
If you select Yes, the students will be sorted into groups and the changes will be saved. If you want to make changes to the automatically sorted groups, select Edit.
Adding More Groups to the Group Set
To add another group to the set, select + under the last group. Be sure to select Save after you add groups (or Cancel if you decide not to save your changes).
To change the name of a single group, select the group name.
Then, type a new group name, and select Save.
Deleting a Group from the Set
To delete a single group, first remove all students from the group. (Only empty groups can be deleted.) Then, select the Delete group link under the group. Be sure to select Save after you delete a group (or Cancel if you decide not to save your changes).
Deleting a Group Set
Follow these steps to delete a custom group set that you have created.
- Select the Group based on drop-down list and select Add/Remove Group Sets.
- Select the red X to the right of the group set name.
Generating a PDF of the Page to Print or Save
Click the PDF icon at the top of the page to generate a PDF file. You can then print or save the file.
When you are ready to go back, select Back to AR360 or Back at the top of the page.