Importing MARC Records of Books in Your Library
You can import a MARC record file that was exported from your library system software
into Accelerated Reader. Accelerated Reader uses this information to note which books are available in your school library. Note that Accelerated Reader uses ISBN numbers only to match the books in your MARC record file to quizzes in Accelerated Reader.
When students log in to Accelerated Reader and see book ideas, Accelerated Reader uses the icon to show them which books are in your library based on the imported
MARC records. This can be helpful to students who want to find a book to read at
Your MARC record file must be a full US MARC record file. To find out how to export a US MARC record file from your library system software, please consult the software’s documentation or contact Technical Support for the company that created the software.
If you are exporting from Destiny®, the complete MARC record file exports with the extension .001. Change the extension to .marc before importing so that Renaissance software recognizes the file.
When you import a MARC record file, any MARC records that you previously imported into Accelerated Reader will
be removed, and only the new records that you import will be used.
To import a MARC record file, follow the steps below.
Who can do this with standard capabilities?
District Administrators, District Staff, School Administrators, School Staff, Teachers
- On the Home page, if you see Accelerated Reader, click it, then click Manage Books and Quizzes or Preferences.
If you have the Accelerated Reader 360 Suite, select Independent Reading, then Manage Books and Quizzes or Preferences.
- Click MARC Record Import. On the Preferences page, this is in the list of School preferences; on the Manage Quizzes or Manage Books and Quizzes page, the link is under Actions on the left side of the page.
- Choose your school from the drop-down list. (If you've imported files before, under the drop-down list, you'll see the date when a MARC record file was last uploaded and processed for your school.)
- Select Browse and select the MARC record file that you want to import.
- Select Upload File. While the file is being uploaded, the button will change to say "Uploading."
- If the file was uploaded successfully, a message under the Browse button will tell you this.
Under your school selection, a message will tell you that the update is pending; the message includes the date and time you uploaded the file and the file name. This message will remain on the page until the MARC records have successfully been updated on your site. Typically, updates are applied overnight. After that, students will begin seeing the (in school library) icon for the imported MARC record books in their book ideas.
If there were errors, they may have been caused by incorrect values in the file. Check the file and correct the problems if possible. If the error was caused by other problems or you need assistance, contact Technical Support.