Using the Book Levels Preference to Restrict Quizzing
The Book Levels preference allows you to restrict the levels of books that individual students can take quizzes for. Restrictions apply to all quiz types (Reading Practice, Other Reading, Literacy Skills, and Vocabulary Practice). Note: If you have Accelerated Reader 360, students will still be able to read articles with the restricted book levels, but they will not be allowed to take quizzes on those articles.
These restrictions are different from the restrictions in the class Quiz Setup preference in two ways:
- The Book Levels preference lets you set different ranges for each student; the Quiz Setup preference sets the same range for the whole class.
- When you use the Book Level preference to restrict students, the students can still find quizzes outside of the range you select; however, they cannot take those quizzes unless the quiz monitor or teacher enters the monitor password to override the restriction (if the Monitor Override preference allows this).
When you use the Quiz Setup preference to restrict book levels, students in the class cannot find quizzes outside of the range you set, so the restrictions cannot be overridden.
If you set restrictions both in this preference and the Quiz Setup preference, the narrower restrictions will be used wherever there are differences.
Follow the steps below to change the Book Levels preference.
Who can do this with standard capabilities?
District Administrators, School Administrators, Teachers
On the Home page, if you see Accelerated Reader, click it; then, click Preferences.
If you have the Accelerated Reader 360 Suite, select Independent Reading, then Preferences.
- Click Book Levels under "Individual Student Preferences."
- Choose the school, class, and students that you want to set the preference for.
In the columns that open, choose the class and students. District-level personnel will typically be asked to choose the school, class, and students. School personnel and teachers are typically asked to choose a class and students.
At the top of the Students column, you can choose all students in the selected class or a specific student. If you choose to select a student, click the student that you want to change the settings for. When you're done, select Apply.
- For each student, select and drag the circles to choose the range of book levels that you want to allow the student to quiz on. (Notice that you can select the "User" column heading to sort students from A to Z or from Z to A.)
The book levels that are used (ATOS or Lexile® Measures) are the levels selected in the Book Level Settings. The title at the top of the preference page shows you which book levels are being used.
Remember that students will be able to take quizzes outside of the range if the Monitor Override Preference allows quiz monitors or teachers to override blocks with the monitor password.
You can also set the preference for all of the students that you've selected at the same time. To do this, select Set All above the table; then, set the range. To finish, select Apply to All.
- When you're done, select Save Changes at the top of the page (or Undo Changes if you decide to undo all changes you've made on the page).
- To go back to the Preferences page, select < Back at the top of the page.