How Students Use Renaissance Responders to Complete Paper Assignments
Renaissance Responders and NEO 2 will no longer be supported after future software updates.
If you have Renaissance Responders (the 2Know! Classroom Response System), your students can use them to enter their answers to paper assignments (but not online assignments). Before they can use the Responders, you must connect a Renaissance Receiver to your computer and install the Renaissance Responder program.
Before students use Renaissance Responders with Accelerated Math 2.0, please note:
- Make sure your students have their printed assignments. The Renaissance Responder does not show the problems on assignments.
- In Accelerated Math 2.0, students can use Renaissance Responders for either practices or tests.
- Close other programs that are using the Renaissance Responders (such as AccelTest or the 2Know! Toolbar). The Renaissance Responder software can't use the Renaissance Receiver if another program is already using it. The Receiver and Responders will only recognize the first program you started.
Students can only use their Responders for assignments in school and while you have the Renaissance Responder program open. Follow these steps:
- Start the Renaissance Responder program. On Windows computers, you can find the program in the Start menu or list of all applications. On Macintosh computers, you will find it in the Applications folder.
- Enter your Accelerated Math user name and password; then, click Log In.
The Renaissance Responder program will start, with the Renaissance Wireless Server running in the background. In the Renaissance Responder program, you can see which students are working on assignments, their form numbers and assignment types, and which items they've completed.
- Ask students to press the On/Off button on their Responders to turn them on.
- Join Session will be highlighted in the main Responder menu. Students should press the Select button. If a student accidentally highlights another menu item, the student can use the arrow buttons to go back to Join Session.
- The Responder will search for the available Renaissance Receivers.
If the Renaissance Responder shows a list of Receivers, each student should use the arrow keys to highlight the correct Receiver and then press Select.
If the Responder asks if you want to stay connected to a specific server, students should press yes (True) or no (False), then Enter.
- Next, the student must enter his or her form number for this assignment and press Enter.
- If the Responder tells a student to wait until the assignment is retrieved, the student must press Enter again.
- When the Responder shows the student's name and form number, the student must press yes (True). (If the name is incorrect, the student should press no and try entering the form number again.)
- The student must press Enter to continue.
- To answer each question, the student must press the letter buttons (A, B, C, D, or E) to choose an answer and then press Enter.
If the student wants to skip a question, the student can press Select and enter a specific question number. The student can also press the ? button and then use the arrow buttons to scroll through the questions: goes back one problem, and goes forward one problem.
- When the student has answered the last question, the Responder will ask if the student is ready to submit the work. The student can press yes and then Enter to submit the assignment.
- The student must press Enter again when the Responder says the session is complete. A summary of the student's work will print to the default printer for the computer that has the Renaissance Receiver connected. The next practice or test may also be printed if more work is available in this Assignment Plan.
- When all students have finished the assessment, you can click End Session in the Renaissance Responder program to send their scores to the Accelerated Math 2.0 software. If some students aren't finished, the program will ask you whether to score the portions that are complete or save the assignments in progress so they can be scored later; click an option and click OK.