Scoring Paper Assignments Using AccelScan
After you install the AccelScan Scanning Software on computers that have an AccelScan scanner attached, you can follow the steps below to score paper assignments by scanning cards with the answers marked.
Before you scan students' cards, make sure that each student has entered the form number on the card so that the software can identify the student and the assignment. (Remember that practices and tests have different form numbers.)
Do one of the following:
- Check a printed copy of the assignment. The form number is at the top.
- In Accelerated Math 2.0 on the Progress Dashboard page, select View Assignments for the student's group. Then, select the square for the student's assignment. In the popup information, select View for the assignment; the form number is at the top.
Only paper assignments can be scored with AccelScan; online assignments cannot.
Who can score assignments with default capabilities?
District Administrators, School Administrators, Teachers
- Verify that an AccelScan is connected to the computer.
- Start the AccelScan Scanning Software on the computer. On Windows computers, you will find it in the Start menu (or in the list of all applications in Windows 8). On Macintosh computers, you will find it in the Applications folder.
Whenever you start the AccelScan Scanning Software, it will check for updates. If a newer version of the software is found, the program will be updated or will give you the opportunity to update.
- On the Log In page, the teacher or administrator must enter the user name and password and click Log In, even if students will score their own work.
- After a few moments, the Ready to Scan page will appear.
If the program notifies you that the scanner was not found or that there were problems communicating with the scanner, make sure the scanner is plugged in and connected to the computer; then, click Scanner Settings and make sure that the correct port is selected.
- If students will scan their own cards, click (version 1.43) or (version 2.0). This puts the software in Student Mode.
When the program is in Student Mode, students can't change program settings. To exit Student Mode in version 1.43 of the software, click the File menu and select Student Mode again to remove the check mark. To exit Student Mode in version 2.0, click the button again. You must enter your user name and password when you exit Student Mode.
- When the scanner is ready to score, you or your student can insert the first scan card into the AccelScan. Insert the scan card face up. The form number should go into the AccelScan first. The AccelScan will scan the answers on the card, score the assignment, and display a short summary.
If the program finds a problem on the card, such as too few or too many answers, unreadable answers, or an invalid form number, the AccelScan software will notify you. To cancel scoring, click Cancel. If the program does not find an assignment for the form number on the card, it will notify you; you can then either type in the correct form number and click Score or click Cancel to stop scoring so you can recheck the card. Click here for more troubleshooting tips.
After scoring a card, the AccelScan Scanning Software will again display the Ready to Scan message. The scan card will be ejected from the AccelScan. The next practice or test may be printed automatically if work is available in this Assignment Plan. The summary of the assignment, which includes the student's score, will also be printed. To score more cards, repeat this step.
If the AccelScan will not scan when the software is in the background on the computer, you need to enable background scanning in the scanner preferences. In version 1.43 of the AccelScan software, click the Edit menu and select AccelScan Settings to open the preferences. In version 2.0 of the software, click the AccelScan menu and choose Preferences. Check the Allow Background Scanning box; then, click OK to save your changes. You cannot change preferences in Student Mode.
- When you or your students have finished scoring assignments, click Log Out. The results for the cards that you scanned will be reflected in Accelerated Math 2.0.