In Renaissance software, you can create, edit, or delete math groups, which can be used with Accelerated Math Instructional Practice. Follow the steps for your version of the software.
Who can do this with standard capabilities?
District Administrators, District Staff, School Administrators, School Staff, Teachers
You can go to the Manage Groups page when you choose to plan assignments - simply select Manage Groups in the top right corner of the Select Skills to Practice page (when you plan assignments).
The Manage Groups button is not available if you choose to plan for more than one class or for a grade.
On the Manage Groups page, you can create group sets, edit the groups in a set, or delete group sets. (Group sets are simply groups that are created together; they allow you to create different groups for different purposes and to choose which set of groups to use.) Any groups that you create from Accelerated Math Instructional Practice, Planner, or Dashboards can be used when you plan assignments in Accelerated Math Instructional Practice.
Selecting a Class to Manage Groups for
When you go to the Manage Groups page, the class that you had selected on the previous page is automatically selected on this page. If you want to select a different class, follow these steps:
- Select the link after "I am managing groups for." (When you move the mouse over the link, it will change to Edit Selection.)
- In the window that opens, choose the school (if shown), the teacher, and the class. The selections that you need to make depend on your position; teachers typically only need to choose the class to work with.
If you have access to more than one school or teacher, choose one of the options at the top of each column first (All Schools/All Teachers or Select Schools/Select Teachers). If you choose to select schools or teachers, check the ones whose classes you want to see. Then, select the class in the last column.
- Select Apply.
The class that you selected will be shown on the page, and the students' Star Math data will be shown in the graph if any is available.
Graph of Student Star Math Data
The graph shows Star Math data based on Scaled Score and Student Growth Percentile (SGP). Students who do not have both a Scaled Score and a Student Growth Percentile will not be on the graph; instead, they will be listed under "Insufficient data to place on graph" below the graph. Note: You will not see anything on the graph until you have created groups.
If you want to see just the group names on the graph, not the individual students, on the left side of the page, select the arrow to the right of each group name.
Selecting Existing Groups to View or Edit
If there are already editable groups for the class, use the Group based on drop-down list to choose which groups to view or edit. Only groups that can be edited are shown (so Benchmark groups, for example, would not be available to select since you cannot change them).
Creating a New Set of Custom Groups
To add a new set of groups to the class, follow the steps below. The groups that you create are for math products that use the Manage Groups page.
- If groups have already been created for the class, select the Group based on drop-down list and select Add/Remove Group Sets.
If no groups have been created yet, select Create a Group Set and skip step 2.
- Select Create a Group Set. (Notice that the group sets you've already created are listed below the button.)
If you want your new group set to be based on one that already exists, select the copy icon next to that group set instead of choosing Create a Group Set. Then, continue with the steps below.
- Enter a name for your new group set; then, select Save.
- Next you'll see the students in your new group set. All students will be in the same group. To create additional groups and move students into them, see the instructions under "Arranging Students in Groups" below. When you're done, select Save.
Editing an Existing Set of Groups
If you want to make changes to an existing set of groups, follow these steps:
- Select the group set from the Group based on drop-down list to view the groups.
Only groups that you can change are listed in the drop-down list. The Benchmark groups are not listed because they cannot be changed.
- Select Edit to the right of the drop-down list.
- See the instructions under "Arranging Students in Groups" below to find out how to move or copy students, automatically sort them, add groups, rename groups, and delete groups. When you've finished changing the groups, select Save.
Arranging Students in Groups
Once you have created new groups or selected the groups that you want to work with, you can move students between groups within the set. You can also add, rename, or delete groups.
After you make changes of any kind, be sure to select Save before you leave the page if you want to save the changes. If you've made changes and you don't want to save them, select Cancel.
Moving Students Between Groups
To move a student from one group to another, select the student's name and drag the student to the new group. You can then choose whether to move the student to the new group or to copy the student into the new group while leaving the student in the original group as well; simply drag the student's name to the Move or Copy option in the new group. Be sure to select Save above the groups after you make changes (or Cancel if you decide not to save your changes).
Automatically Sorting Students into Groups Based on Star Data
Automatic sorting is not available in some versions of the software.
You can also automatically sort students into groups based on their Star Math test results. When you do this, your changes are automatically saved when the sorting is complete. Follow these steps:
- First, choose to create or edit a group set as described above.
- Select auto-sort students above the Save and Cancel buttons.
- You can choose to sort students by benchmarks or by their Scaled Scores and Student Growth Percentiles (SGPs). Select the criteria that you want to use.
- Use the drop-down list next to the options to choose more criteria:
Select Go below the options.
A message will remind you that the changes will be saved and that there is not a way to go back to your previous groups. If you want to continue, select Yes; if not, select No.
- If you chose Benchmarks, you can choose which benchmarks to use to sort the students:
- If you chose Scaled Score and SGP, you can choose how many groups to divide students into.
If you select Yes, the students will be sorted into groups and the changes will be saved. You will need to select Edit for the group set if you want to make additional changes.
Adding More Groups to the Group Set
To add another group to the set, select + under the last group. Be sure to select Save after you add groups (or Cancel if you decide not to save your changes).
To change the name of a single group, select the group name.
Then, type a new group name, and select Save.
Deleting a Group from the Set
To delete a single group, first remove all students from the group. (Only empty groups can be deleted.) Then, select Delete group under the group. Be sure to select Save after you delete a group (or Cancel if you don't want to save your changes).
Deleting a Group Set
Follow these steps to delete a custom group set that you have created.
- Select the Group based on drop-down list and select Add/Remove Group Sets.
- Select the red X to the right of the group set name. Make sure you want to delete the group set before you do this; the set will be removed as soon as you click the X.
Generating a PDF of the Page to Print or Save
Click the PDF icon at the top of the page to generate a PDF file. You can then print or save the file.
When you are ready to go back to plan assignments, select < Back at the top of the page.
Who can do this with standard permissions?
District-Level Administrators, District Staff, School-Level Administrators, School Staff, Teachers
Follow these steps to create new groups:
- On the Home page, select Accelerated Math IP as shown above.
- On the main Accelerated Math Instructional Practice page, select Plan Assignments.
- On the New Assignment Plan Setup page, click Select Students and choose a class and a week. (The selections that you choose do not matter since you are not planning assignments at this time.) Then, select Start Planning.
You can also select the Manage Groups button on the dashboards or the Record Book in the Math Reports.
- Select Manage Groups on the Select Skills to Practice page. (The button is in the top right corner of the page.)
- On the Manage Groups page, your school will be selected. If you have access to more than one school, and you need to change the selected school, click Change Selection; then, select a school in the window that opens and select Apply.
If these examples do not look like the Manage Groups page on your site, click the link for the Instructional Reading tile in the beginning of this help topic to see instructions for the page.
- Then, select Create New Groups.
- On the next page, one or more of your classes will be selected by default. If you want to change the classes from which you will create the groups, click Change Selection.
In the window that opens, your school will be selected. (If you have access to more than one school, select one.) Next, check the teachers whose students you want to add to groups. In the last column, you can choose whether to select all classes or specific classes; if you choose to select specific classes, check the ones that you want to create groups for. When you have finished, select Apply.
- Next, use the first drop-down list to choose the subject. For groups that you will use with Accelerated Math Instructional Practice, select Math.
- Use the second drop-down list to choose the scale for the Star Math Scaled Scores that you want to see and use for grouping:
- Star Enterprise will show the latest Star Math score on the Enterprise Scale (0-1400).
- Star Unified will show the latest Star Math score on the Unified Scale (0-1400). The Star Unified scale provides you with increased measurement precision and one consistent scale across all computer-adaptive Star assessments.
Use the third drop-down list to choose which benchmark (School, District, or State) that you want to use to start your groups, or choose "No default grouping". The benchmark colors will also be shown for student scores.
If students have taken a Star Math test, they will be placed in a group according to their benchmark category to start (unless you choose "No default grouping"), but you can make adjustments before saving the groups.
Select Create Groups to the right of the drop-down lists.
You will see the following:
Make adjustments to the group(s) for each student as needed. When you are done, select Save.
- If you have selected students from more than one class, you will be asked to enter a name for the groups you are creating. Enter a name that shows the purpose for the groups. (If you selected only one class, you won't be asked to enter a name.)
- Below the subject and benchmarks that you selected, you will see the groups that have been created. The number of groups is based on the number of benchmark categories (if you chose a benchmark type). The example above has four groups. Each group is named according to the color used on this page; to give the groups your own name, click in each field and edit the name as needed. Note that you can't re-use group names that you've used for other groups for the selected students. To add more groups, select Add.
- Below the options, you will see a list of the students that includes their Scaled Scores (and their benchmark category colors), Percentile Ranks (PR), and the group numbers. A check mark in a group column means the student is in that group, and the color around the check mark is the group color. Students can be in more than one group. For each student, check the columns of the groups that you'd like to put the student into (or make changes to the default grouping as needed). Note that students with the lowest Scaled Scores are at the top if you chose a benchmark; if you chose "No default grouping," the students with the highest Scaled Scores are at the top.
- As students are added to groups, you will see their scores in the Growth Achievement chart to the right, which reflects your students' Scaled Scores and Student Growth Percentiles. Students are only included on the chart if they have taken more than one Star Math test and the tests are in two different testing windows.
If you have students with different grades in the groups, you can use the drop-down list at the top of the chart to choose which grade's benchmark categories you want to see.
Students will be shown as circles on the chart in the color of the group(s) that you have selected so that you can see where they fall in the benchmark categories. If you select a circle for a student, you can see that student's Scaled Score and Student Growth Percentile. (If students have overlapping circles, you may also see a drop-down list that lets you choose which student's score you want to see.)
For more detailed information about the page where you create groups, see Manage Groups Page.
You will return to your list of groups for the school, and your new groups will be in the list. Notice that math and reading groups are listed separately. Math groups are used with Accelerated Math Instructional Practice (and other math products).
If you want to delete a set of groups, select Delete in the row for that group. A message will open to remind you that any assignment activities that are in progress or upcoming (not started) will be deleted. If you want to continue, select Yes.
If you want to make changes to the groups (the number of groups, the names of groups, or the students in the groups), select Add/Edit.